Hello and welcome to 'myrsr.com'. This online diary details our project of buying a crappy '80s Porsche 911 and turning it into a beautiful replica 1973 911 RSR, before driving it halfway across Europe on the Cannonball 8000 rally. Well, keeps us out of trouble..

Sunday 18 May 2008

Exhaust overhaul

My exhaust is a) WAY too noisy b) made of mild steel and rusting already c) not mounted with straps because it doesn't fit quite right. I decided to take it off, get rid of the rust, spray with VHT (Very High Temperature) paint, stick some decibel reducing inserts in, and strap it up to the body properly. Mark at RS911 said he'll modify it to reduce the volume, but I thought I'd give this a try first. So far it's painted and fits a bit better, but I'll have to wait a couple of weeks before getting the inserts in and strapping it in place - just don't have enough time, you know?


These are the tail pipe inserts. I'm having to grind a bit off to fit them, so all they'll do is restric the flow slightly. To be honest, I'm not too hopeful!!

Look at this.. The silencer is more or less straight through - no wonder it's loud!